Costco has been taking the expense and hassle out of shopping for decades. It’s become the go-to wholesale retailer for families and businesses alike, all thanks to its low prices, huge selection of items, and abundant locations across the globe. Costco is all about convenience from start to finish — including the process of buying a membership, which you can do online in just a few clicks.
Here are the step-by-step instructions for how to buy a Costco membership online.
- Research your membership options. You can choose between four types of memberships:
- Gold Star Membership – $60 per year
- Gold Star Executive Membership – $120 per year
- Business Membership – $60 per year
- Business Executive Membership – $120 per year
The right Costco membership for you depends on how often you plan to shop, the items you plan to buy, and whether you’ll use any of Costco’s other services, such as auto repair. Here is a breakdown of each of Costco’s membership benefits:
|Gold Star||Gold Star Executive||Business||Business Executive|
|Household membership card||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Entry to every store globally||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Annual reward on eligible purchases||✔||✔|
|Perks on eligible services||✔||✔|
|Ability to add members to account||✔||✔|
|Ability to resell membership||✔||✔|
- Go to your chosen membership’s page, and click Buy Membership.
- Enter the requested information on the Membership Application, which includes:
- Information for the additional household member who will be on the account (optional)
- Mail and email preferences
- New login information, including your username and password
- Click Save and Continue. This adds the membership to your cart so you can complete your purchase.
- Go to your cart, and click Checkout. Note that if you’re not logged in, you’ll be taken to the login page. You can click Create Account on this page to register for an account if you haven’t already by entering your email address and your desired password.
- Enter your shipping address, or select one you’ve saved to your online account.
- Click Continue to Payment.
- Enter your credit or debit card information.
- Click Continue to Review Order.
- Make sure all of the information you entered is correct, including the Costco membership you chose, the account members, and your shipping and billing information. Once you’ve verified these details, click Place Order.
Once you’ve completed your order, be on the lookout for your confirmation email, which will contain your new Costco membership number. Keep in mind that you won’t receive your membership card in the mail. You’ll need to pick it up at your local Costco, where they’ll take your photo and add it to your card and membership file.